Are you thinking of getting a new pet puppy?
A cute ball of fur is a perfect choice to help you de-stress and provide companionship. But before you can get your puppy, you have first to know what to feed it.
Like all growing animals, a healthy diet plays the most crucial role in keeping your puppy in good shape. Puppies need high-quality food to help them grow and stay fit.
Keep reading to learn what to feed a puppy before getting a new one.
What to Feed a Puppy
Puppies need a diet that is high in protein and fat and low in carbohydrates. Puppy food should also be highly digestible.
Some things to keep in mind when choosing a food for your puppy are:
- Protein content should be at least 18%
- Fat content should be at least 8%
- Carbohydrate content should be no more than 5%
- The food should be highly digestible, meaning that most of the nutrients are absorbed by the puppy’s body
How Much to Feed a Puppy
How much your puppy eats will depend on their age, activity level, and weight.
For the first 3-4 days, keep your puppy on the food he was eating at the breeder’s or shelter. Then, slowly start mixing in the food you’ve chosen until he’s eating only the new food.
For the first few weeks, puppies should be fed three to four times daily. After that, you can reduce feedings to three times a day until he’s about six months old. At six months, you can cut back to twice-a-day feedings.
Common Puppy Feeding Mistakes
1. Not knowing how much to feed them. Puppies need to eat more often than adult dogs since they grow and develop quickly.
You can start by giving them a half cup of food at each meal and then adjust the amount up or down as needed depending on their activity level and appetite.
2. Not feeding them the right puppy food. Puppies need a high protein and fat diet to help them grow and develop properly.
Most commercial puppy foods will have all of your pup’s nutrients. Just be sure to avoid any foods high in sugar or salt as these can be harmful to their health. Feeding a balanced puppy diet will help them grow into healthy and happy adult dogs.
Speaking of a balanced diet, maybe you’re wondering, “Can dogs eat fruits?” “Can dogs have strawberries?” The answer is yes. If you’re intrigued, keep reading.
3. Not providing enough water for their pups. Puppies need to stay hydrated like any other animal, so it is essential to ensure access to fresh, clean water.
Treat Your Puppies to Some Healthy Foods
Puppies bring so much joy to our lives. But with that joy comes a lot of responsibility, one of which is making sure they are adequately nourished.
Follow this guide on what to feed a puppy, and you’ll be able to make the most out of owning one!
If this article has helped you and you would like to read more pet-related content, please check out the rest of our website.