Mold is commonly thought of as a nuisance, but few people realize that it is a hazard. Mold exists anywhere where there is moisture in the air, meaning it is a constant companion that is mostly harmless. However, when mold is allowed to build up, problems can arise.

If you have pets, it is especially important to be aware of the potential dangers of mold. Mold exposure and inhalation can cause a number of adverse side effects, many of which are amplified in small animals. If you are wondering is mold toxic, read on to find out everything you need to know.

1. Mold Impacts the Health of Millions of Americans

If you are wondering is mold harmful to humans, the answer is yes. One of the mold facts that is often overlooked is that, out of the 25 million asthma sufferers in America, almost 5 million of these have asthma as a result of mold exposure.

Despite mold not even being visible in most settings, it has caused serious health problems in countless people. Often, those who are older or have pre-existing respiratory conditions, as well as very young children, are more likely to suffer adverse health impacts from different types of mold.

2. Mold Can Mean Many Things

Mold is sort of a catch-all term, and know how to get rid of mold can often depend on the specific type of mold you are dealing with. For example, mildew is a type of mold that requires specific techniques to get rid of.

All told, there are more than 10,000 confirmed types of mold in the world today, some with much more dangerous health effects than others. Different types of mold grow in different climates, with different parts of America having different types of mold problems.

3. Mold Exacerbates Health Problems

While harmful mold can cause some conditions to develop, it is more likely to exacerbate any existing conditions you or your loved ones or pets may have. If you have any respiratory problems, mold exposure will make them worse. In addition, the World Health Organisation has said that a number of cancers and cancer symptoms are aggravated by persistent mold exposure.

Mold also aggravates most of the world’s most common allergies and has even been identified as a contributing factor towards miscarriages. That is why it is crucial to know how to identify mold and remove it before it becomes a serious problem.

4. Mold is Easily Removed from Houses

Fortunately, dealing with mold is usually an easy, straightforward, and low-cost process that will take minutes. Cleaning mold afflicted areas with chlorine bleach or hydrogen peroxide will usually get rid of it almost immediately.

In addition, simple steps such as regular vacuuming and opening windows to let the air circulate will easily prevent the buildup of mold in your home. Doing whatever you can to reduce excess moisture in your home is the best way to avoid the health dangers of mold.

5. Mold Cannot Grow on Certain Materials

While mold grows quickly and efficiently, there are a number of common household materials where mold simply cannot grow. Put simply, mold cannot grow on non-organic surfaces. This means that concrete, glass, and rock are all mold-free.

However, there may be layers of organic material that builds up on top of glass and concrete which will allow mold to grow. That being said, mold cannot grow inside of these materials.

6. Almost All Sinus Infections Are Caused By Mold

Medical research has shown that the vast majority of all sinus infections known to man are caused by mold. Molds usually enter the body via the nasal cavity. After this, the body reacts by releasing a chemical known as eosinophils to fight it off.

This process usually causes the irritating symptoms of sinus infections, which will persist as long as there are mold spores in the sinus cavities. This is a process of infection that affects humans and household pets alike.

7. Mold Grows Fast

Surely there have also been times where you have taken a loaf of bread out of your cupboard, only to realize that it has grown a colorful crop of mold overnight? One thing that makes the dangers of mold all the more urgent is just how staggeringly quickly it grows. If you have a wet surface, it will usually take less than 48 hours for mold to grow.

Mold grows quickly in even the most mildly damp conditions and can easily overtake the foundations of your home if left unchecked. Remember, home insurance policies very rarely cover damage caused by mold. This is why it is crucial to remain vigilant and remove mold as soon as you notice it.

8. Painting Over Mold Will Not Remove It

Many people assume that a thick layer of paint on the wall will remove the mold problem. However, the well-worn phrase “out of sight, out of mind” most definitely does not apply to mold. Yes, the paint will provide some kind of barrier between mold spores and those living in a house.

However, this will not stop mold from growing inward into the foundations of the house. In addition, it will not take long for mold to reemerge through that new lick of paint. You can, however, purchase mold-resistant paint that will do a better job of containing it.

9. Is Mold Toxic for Pets? Yes.

If you are still wondering “is most dangerous for pets?”, the answer is definitely yes. As we have seen, mold can cause and exacerbate a wide array of health problems in humans. All of this applies to animals, often more so.

If you have a pet that has a compromised respiratory system, such as a pedigree Pug or French Bulldog, then they are at an even greater risk of developing mold-related health problems. Keep your pets safe by being proactive with mold removal and prevention.

Keep Your Home in Good Shape in 2021

Know you know the answer to the question “is mold toxic?”, it is time to ensure your home is kept in tip-top condition in the year ahead. In our Home Life guides, you will find all of the advice you will need on keeping your home in perfect, liveable conditions in the year ahead.

You might also enjoy:

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.