Home electrical fires are hazardous for your family and home, and they’re far more common in the United States than you’d think. Over 51,000 electrical fires occur each year in the US, and most occur because homeowners don’t know the risk factors and signs of electrical burning. Ignoring the burning plastic smell in your home could cost you everything.

The best way to prevent an electrical fire in your home is to understand the causes of the weird burning smell. You can narrow down the culprits and seek help from a licensed electrician to resolve the issue and protect your family.

The good news is that you’re in the perfect place to learn about the four causes of the burnt wire smell in your home. Continue reading to know the warning signs and take effective action today!

1. Electrical Wiring

Electrical wiring is the most prominent cause of the smell of burning plastic in your home, which should also be the most significant cause of alarm. The risk is much higher when you live in a house with old wiring to run electricity. Damage from pests like rodents will also increase the likelihood of an electrical fire.

The best way to prevent the weird burning smell and keep your family safe is by having your home inspected by a licensed electrician you trust. They’ll use their trained eyes to spot and resolve potential issues before a catastrophe occurs.

You can also look for other warning signs explaining the burnt wire smell. Electrical buzzing, flickering lights, and sparks are all signs that you have an electrical burning issue in your house. Call an emergency electrician in Philadelphia immediately to get the help you need.

2. Home Furnace or HVAC

Another cause of the weird burning smell in your home is the furnace or HVAC system you run to maintain a comfortable inside temperature for your home. A new HVAC is a common cause of a burning plastic smell in your home. It’s also typical if you’ve moved into a newly constructed home.

Expect the burning smell when running the air conditioner for the first time in the season. Look for this smell if your home uses an electric HVAC.

Gas-powered furnaces are another factor to consider if you smell electrical burning in your home. A gas leak is the primary cause of the smell in a gas furnace. Problems with the oil burner are the primary culprit if your house uses heating oil.

The best action when your house smells of burning plastic is immediately turning off the heat. Call an emergency heating technician to inspect your home’s heating system and look for damage. You’ll enjoy peace of mind that trained eyes check your system and resolve potential issues.

3. Appliances

Your new stainless steel appliances are another possibility worth considering when you smell that burning plastic smell in your home. Appliances of all sizes are at increased risk of causing electrical burning. The most common form of an appliance causing a burning smell is hair appliances like hair dryers and curling irons.

Leaving these devices plugged in and running is a significant risk to your family’s health and safety. Ensure these appliances are turned off and unplugged before walking away to prevent an electrical fire in your home.

If the smell of electrical fire reaches your nostrils while using your household appliances, unplug the device immediately and inspect the outlet. You may find signs of damage from the electrical wiring in your home.

Burning smells coming from your washer or dryer are a more serious matter. Call a technician to inspect your appliances for damage and complications before resuming their use. It’s better to be safe than sorry when your family’s health and wellness is on the line.

4. Unattended Cooking

A weird burning smell can also occur from unattended cooking in your kitchen. It sounds simple, but unattended cooking is one of the leading causes of house fires in the US. It’s easy for food to catch fire in the oven when left unattended for prolonged periods.

Burning food can often create a weird burning smell unfamiliar to your household. You are responsible for staying in the kitchen and monitoring the food you’re cooking or baking to prevent an accident.

You can combat the risk of a housefire in your kitchen by keeping a fire extinguisher handy. It’s the perfect tool to prevent fires before they spread to other parts of the home.

Benefits of Identifying the Burning Plastic Smell

The primary benefit of identifying the burning plastic smell is to prevent electrical burning and a house fire. You can keep your family safe and your home intact by narrowing the causes of the smell and hiring a technician to resolve the issue. Taking action and knowing the weird burning smell could prevent a catastrophe and loss of life in your home.

The other benefit of narrowing down the possibilities causing the burnt wire smell is the money you’ll save. House fires cause extensive damage that could rob you of your savings to repair. Ignoring the scent is the worst thing you can do for your family’s health and finances.

The best-case scenario of ignoring the weird burning smell is needing to replace your HVAC or furnace. A new furnace will set you back thousands of dollars. Depending on the season, you could spend days in your home without a reliable heat source until the new furnace is purchased and installed.

Prevent Electrical Burning in Your Home Today

Ignoring the burning plastic smell in your home is one of the worst mistakes you can make as a responsible homeowner. It’s vital to explore the cause of the weird burning smell and contact an emergency technician to inspect it. The most common reasons are old or damaged electrical wiring and issues with your HVAC or furnace.

Your home is meant to be a healthy and secure place for your family to thrive. Check out more of our Home and Health blog content to take steps to protect your family and home today!

You might also enjoy:

Leave A Comment